Academy Will Provide In-Depth Look at County Government
(Allentown, PA)- September just doesn’t just mark the first days of school for returning students; it’s also the beginning of Lehigh County’s Citizens’ Academy. Lehigh County will be officially unveiling its nine-day academy, open to local residents, on September 12th at 6:00 P.M in the Public Hearing Room at the Lehigh County Government Center.
The academy will occur once a week, lasting roughly two hours, and feature a presentation from the heads of major county departments and row office holders. The presentation will be followed by a question and answer session affording residents the opportunity to engage with department heads and ask questions.
“The Citizens’ Academy was something that was requested by members of the community, and I believe it’s an excellent idea. County government is often the least understood, but most vital form of local government given the types of services we provide,” said Phillips Armstrong, Lehigh County Executive. “It’s my hope that those in attendance will leave with a greater knowledge of Lehigh County, and become stronger advocates and local voices. We want to educate and empower people,” he concluded.
The schedule and departments presenting are listed below. Residents are encouraged to attend as many of the sessions as they can.
- September 12th 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.- Department of Administration
- September 19th 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.- Department of General Services
- September 26th 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.- Department of Community and Economic Development
- October 3rd 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.- Cedarbrook Senior Care & Rehabilitation
- October 9th 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. – Human Services
- October 17th 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. Public Defender’s Office
- October 22nd 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. Department of Corrections
- November 7th 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. Fiscal Office
- November 14th– 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. County Row Offices- Sheriff, Controller, Coroner
All sessions will take place in the Public Hearing Room, located in the Lehigh County Government Center, 17 S 7th Street, Allentown, PA 18101.
Those interested in attending should contact the Public Information Officer, Joshua Siegel, at JoshuaSiegel@LehighCounty.org.
Information provided to TVL by:
Public Information Officer
County of Lehigh, Office of the County Executive
17 S. 7th Street, 4th Floor, Suite 436
Allentown, PA 18101