The city of Allentown is establishing a $400,000 rental assistance program from funds allocated to the city as part of the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
The rental program will assist city tenants with rent payments to avoid eviction for a duration of three (3) months, funds not to surpass $3,000 total per household.
The Rental Assistance Program responds to the urgent need to assist elderly, low-income individuals with risk of homelessness as consequence of loss of funding.
Eligible persons must make less than 50 percent of area median income.
Applicants must meet one of the following:
- Dependent children
- Elderly person (head of household or spouse is 62 years of age or older)
- Disabled person (head of household or spouse is disabled)
- Veteran or surviving spouse of veteran (other than dishonorable discharge)
- Working applicant who has lost a job due to COVID-19 (Must have worked at least 32-plus hours per week for the previous 6 months). You may combine job training or an academic program as part of the previous 6-month requirement.
- With risk of Homelessness
- Are in the process of being evicted.
- Have been evicted.
- Are victims of domestic violence.
- Have received a Notice to Vacate prior to April 1, 2020
Applications for rental assistance must include:
- Documentation related to your emergency. This could be a court-ordered eviction notice, a Notice to Vacate, temporary loss of income etc.
- Your government-issued photo identification. You may need to provide Social Security cards and birth certificates for each person in your household.
- Verification of your income dated within the last 30 days. This could be pay stubs, proof of benefits (from TANF, Social Security, or disability), or proof of any other source of income.
If you are in the process of being evicted, you must provide:
- A letter from your landlord showing the balance owed, dated within 10 days.
- Documentation of aid from any other assisting agencies.
- A signed copy of your lease.
More information will become available on the city website. The application will be available on-line and can be completed on-line on May 1, 2020 at www.allentownpa.gov/covidrentalassistance.
The city will be accepting applications from May 1, 2020 to May 10, 2020 or until all rental funds have been spent down.
Information provided to TVL by:
435 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18101