It may be the single biggest barrier to seeking help for many suffering from a mental health condition – the stigma society associates with mental illness. The latest edition of the Conversations with KidsPeace podcast series takes on this issue, featuring perspectives from special guest author Michael Schlossberg and KidsPeace Chief Medical Officer Dr. Matthew Koval:
- How a depression emerged for one of the guests during college, and how he got past “self-stigma” to seek help.
- The role Robin Williams’ suicide played in prompting Schlossberg to become a public advocate for viewing mental illness as a chronic condition, and how his latest writing venture carries that message into the realm of young adult science fiction.
- The need to humanize depression in order to combat the stigma against treatment, especially among men and minority communities:
- Why primary care physicians need to be ready for what’s called “the doorknob comment,” as the opening to learning what may truly be troubling their patient.
- And why turning around the old saying “Don’t just sit there, DO something!” can reveal a path to help individuals suffering in silence because of stigma.
You can listen to the podcast at www.kidspeace.org/combating-mental-health-stigma-cwk015/
Information Provided By:
Director of Communications